Friday, May 26, 2006

My Earth Past

Harsh Realities
Dana Tiger

My heritage is both Cowboy and Indian. I have a few of Dana Tiger's prints and yep, that's our store.


My native American heritage saddens me for those who walked before me. The hardship. My people were force to deny who they were in order for the children to be allowed the white man’s teaching. So much lost.


I love the tales of the old west I think I’ve seen almost every western made. My great grandfather was a cowboy.


I was reading some cowboyisms and thought I’d share. Being a cowboy was a hard life so the fact that they must of had a love for it makes it better to saver these.


Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

( Milly adds Nuff said)

There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

(Milly says Remember that boys)

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day.

(Milly’s addition -Use a shovel and dig for fishing worms)

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

(I aint say’n nut'n)


Careful is a naked man climbin' a barbed wire fence

( ;-) A. . . we was a just a talking, honest )


"Some people grin and bear it. Other people smile and change it."

(Milly asks. Are you smiling yet?)


"By drawing on the strength of the women of my Creek Indian ancestry, I am better able to portray the dignity and determination of contemporary women." Dana Tiger


The Great Spirit is in all things: he is in the air we breathe. The Great Spirit is our Father, but the earth is our mother. She nourishes us; that which we put into the ground she returns to us
- Big Thunder (Bedagi) Wabanaki Algonquin

"The first peace, which is the most important, is that which comes within the souls of people when they realize their relationship, their oneness with the universe and all its powers, and when they realize that at the center of the universe dwells the Great Spirit, and that this center is really everywhere, it is within each of us."
Black Elk - Oglala Sioux
"Sometimes dreams are wiser than waking."

6 comments:

pearlie said...

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

I like this :)
Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Maeghan

Kevin Knox said...

Have you read the Madeleine Le'Engle book that takes on native Americans and witch burning at the same time?

Difficult subject for me.

Milly said...

codepoke,
I haven't read it I'll add it to my list. I have a tendency to get a bit angry at the past horrors.

Very difficult for me.

Kevin Knox said...

I am not exactly recommending the book. I was curious what your thoughts would be on it. Big difference!

I found the book very difficult.

She sets Native American spirituality against a Christianity that existed mostly in the minds of those who hate it. Witch burning was an evil done in the Name of Christ, and I cannot believe that Christians were involved. Many who claim His Name never knew Him.

Her heroes sit in the middle. They make the Native American spirituality the highest, and add a little Christianity to it. I put the book down feeling that while L'Engle knew her scripture, she did not know Christ.

That said, it was some tough, tough writing and reading for a "children's story."

DougALug said...

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

Amen... okay...ummmm. Have I said to much?

God Bless
Doug

Milly said...

Codepoke,
Thanks for the up date don't think I'll read it now.

meaghan and dugalug,

I'm not alway too good at shut'n up. I need to put this on a pillow or some thing where I'll see it often.