Tuesday, May 30, 2006

From Boy to Teen!

It’s mission trip count down time and the mom is a bit apprehensive about her son going. On one hand his new found fight of authority says "Let the boy go he’ll see what the outside world is like." The threshold of thirteen has brought a vocabulary of: Why? How come? I can if I want. And my favorite. . . No I’m not going to. His father’s eyes blaze at these. I’m calmer I know the worst is yet to come. I was once young and I was, at times, allowed to talk back. Not only was I the baby but they knew, the worst is yet to come! It’s like a horror movie. I hear one night you tuck them in and the next morning they wake as . . . .teenagers!!!!


"So" he just said "so" when I pointed out that the dishwasher needs to be emptied. I so’d him back over something important to him. Now I’m stooping to his level. No. . .wait. . I was merely pointing out that being so’d at isn’t a good thing. That’s it. Just being a good parent. The truth is that I’m kind of like Brandon’s mom in Home Movies, an adult swim cartoon.


He’s a good kid in spite of the fact that he’s testing us. He gets my jokes and throws them right back, he is polite, and very intelligent. I doubt that I will have to worry about him as much as others worry about their teens. My son is adamant about not drinking or smoking in the future. He hates taking any kind of medication. Still his eagle eyed parents will always be on the watch.


Today was check up day because he needs a new huffer and a shot. The doctor is very concerned about him going. Now see. . . I didn’t need that. I needed her to say don’t worry he’ll be great. I’m already worried about him. Now I’m trying not to freak out.


I know the people going so I will give them very strict orders for my baby trying to grow up. I doubt I'll be alone. God is with them. My son will see what the real world is like first hand. He has grown tired of my when I was a kid I had friends who put in a days worth of work before they caught the bus. Heck, I was considered a bit well off in that little country town. My chores were small, gardening and cattle when needed. We had a nice little home in the woods. My best friend had a small home off the dirt road it looked like a shack to some I’m sure. Her clothes didn’t always match and her dad was a drunk. One of my friends had no electricity, phone, or plumbing. All of them knew what work was.

My children have no clue.

My son will get one soon.

4 comments:

Kevin Knox said...

:-D

The doctor is very concerned about him going. Now see. . . I didn’t need that.

Doctors are paid to be concerned. He'll be fine!

My boy was diagnosed as borderline asthmatic, and everyone freaked just before his 3 week science/mountaineering vacation a couple summers ago. They ordered him an inhaler, and made him carry it. He never touched it, even at 14,000 feet, and was always at the front of the pack.

Cry havoc, and loose the pups of missions!

:-D

Milly said...

Thanks,

She's concerned about mold and stuff. He has a once in a while problem so she warns that he could need it and be without. I've tried to teach him to calm down and relax first.

I did receive a kiss on the forehead tonight. :-}

Kevin Knox said...

Ah yes. It's been years since one of those happened here. Lucky dog.

Milly said...

I cherish ever air kiss from the steps, a kiss on the forehead I almost danced.