Thursday, January 18, 2007

Um. . . . . Hmmmmm........


Today when I arrived in font of my home the letter carrier was delivering my mail. I had a bit of trouble getting in to the garage but made it after the second try. I then slowly made my way to the mail box. Now I have to tell you that the ice is deep and hard so I’ve been using a shovel to keep me from sliding down onto my soft side. Not today my friend! I thought because my husband had cleared a bit of the ice from our driveway I could easily make it the rest of the way. Oh how I slid to the mail box. I was able to keep my feet down and my head up. I reached in and slid into the street. Holding the mail I was faced with a quandary, HOW ON EARTH AM I GETTING BACK UP? I checked to see if I still had my cell phone, I could call my husband to come out and get me. I looked around for America’s Stupidest Home Video, good I can’t see any cameras. Then I stood and pondered my move. I stepped up and slid back, I stepped up and slid back. I considered the possibilities of crawling my way up. Now that’s a pretty look Milly on her hands and knees sliding around. I must of spent about five minutes surveying the terrain. That’s it I’ll follow the path of my car and hope that my soft side doesn’t hit the ice. I slowly made my way into the garage soft side and pride in tact. Now with the snow on it’s way I’m left thinking that I might not want to check the mail for awhile.



I’m very thankful for my four wheel drive and wish that my husband’s van had it because he has been driving my car to work. God knows I love my kids but we have spent a week stuck in the house without fast food and church. I love to cook but one only eats what he wants and the other eats all the time, dishes and laundry day in and day out. It’s all left me wondering how my mom coped, I wish I could ask her. When I was living in the country and we had cold spells like this we lost power and water. The wood stove would keep us warm and we melted what was needed for toilets and stuff. We put what needed to stay cold outside on the porch. It’s been amusing to watch how city folks cope when faced with the prospects of power outages, they freak out. I just grab a flash light and a good book. I will say that the wood stove kept us very warm and most don’t have the luxury of those things, we don’t here in the city and I won’t use the fireplace until it’s been inspected.



I miss the country winters at times. I loved the sound of silence after a snow and the cracking of branches in the ice. A distant coyote howling the deer looking for food. The fun of the opossums eating out of the dog’s bowl and the birds thankful for the food we tossed out for them. The amazing smell of the wood burning stove and the pureness of the snow sticks in my heart. I think that winter has to be one of my favorite times of the year inconvenient is the ice but it gets us to slow down and for me I remember a quieter time.

6 comments:

Patchouli said...

I remember too, the wood stove and no hot water...
I would have called Mr P to rescue me! He has ropes and pullies...

Anonymous said...

My man has lots of stuff to rescue me with, I just didn't want to wait while he laughed and possibly took pictures.

Missy said...

Milly - I am glad you didn't get hurt. Everyone tells me 'round here that it's safe to go outside, but I'll wait until there's enough snow to make it softer than safe!

karen said...

Milly, I'm glad you weren't hurt...but thank you for the laughs! I fell on my "soft side" (they're ALL soft now) downtown a few years ago...popped up, looked around for the cameras. LOL
Loved your post and memories...our moms were awesome with what they did.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mil-Gurl! I'm jealous over here. Our ice melted away within a couple of days. :'(

I don't blame you for not calling the hubby. Gotta protect our pride, ya' know. I do pray for your safety after the snow comes. I know that can be trecherous. Be careful, girl.

Unknown said...

I remember too, the wood stove and no hot water...

Check Out