Monday, April 24, 2006

Who are they????

So I get that Baptism is important. I believe that getting wet full in is what it says to do in the Bible. To be honest I hate the rubber suits that prevent us from feeling the water on our bodies. I know some that think it needs to be in a lake, pond, or river not the big tub that’s decorated with plants and rocks to give us that feeling of being outside. I know someone who believes you can be baptized in a bath tub by anyone, this however, isn’t the discussion. (We can still talk about it. This is God led)

On a site I read that some don’t consider some to be brothers and sisters in Christ until they are Baptized. I realize that he means something a bit different. For the purpose of this discussion I’m looking at it differently. I considered linking it from here only I don’t think I want to hurt someone over a question I have.

Now for the ones who know about the site because you’ve read it, this is a question, not a how dumb of her to ask thing. I just want to know what you think. Is everyone considered your brother and sister? Or. . . Only those who believe they way you do?


Who are our brothers and sisters?

5 comments:

DougALug said...

Milly,

I think Jesus said that best:

Matthew 12:49-50 (NIV)

49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers.

50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."


I would have to say the Christians are my brothers and sisters. That is pretty broad and all-encompassing, but there are about 5 or 6 basic tenants to be a bona-fide Christian. The rest of the stuff is denomination.

That being said, I have a lot of fights with my sisters and brothers, but we are all still family.

God Bless
Doug

Milly said...

Add on question:

If only Christians are our brothers and sisters who are the rest?

Kevin Knox said...

DugALug beat me to it!

Great answer.

To question # 2, Milly, I come down on the side that the rest are those that we love, but who don't love our Father. They may not hate me, but I am not surprised when they do. (Jesus told us not to be surprised when those who hated Him hate us.)

DougALug said...

Codepoke,

It is nice to beat you to the punch for once :)

Milly,
Question #2

Okay, God adopted us into his house. So we are made brothers and sisters by our adoptee (God the Father).

Ephesians 1:5 (NIV)

5 He predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—


Since we were adopted from our worldy father aka Satan, technically they are estranged brothers and sisters. They are, as codepoke said, people for us to love who probably aren't really hot for us.

We need to show them the heritage available to them by being grafted into His vine.

God Bless
Doug

Anonymous said...

If only Christians are our brothers and sisters who are the rest?

Great question, Millie.

I don't know if there is a biblical name for those who are not Christians other than "Lost sheep" who are not of Jesus' pen.

I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. (John 10:16)

Then Jesus told them this parable: "Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.'
(Luke 15:3-6)

Because of the way us Gentiles were viewed in the scriptures it is hard to see them in the true light. God never intended for us Gentiles to be left out of the Kingdom. His plan was always to include us as well as the Jews. Those who are not brothers and sisters today are in a spiritual sense the Gentiles of today.
They are to be loved. They are to be welcomed. They are to be sacrificed for.

They are the Lost sheep of this world and our job is to rustle them all up into the "Jesus pen".