Monday, March 27, 2006

Leah

When I studied Leah in my women’s class, I wept for her. I honesty fell in love with this woman. Had I known her now struggling so hard to find favor in her husbands eyes I would have said loose him. You my friend are a kind and loving person you don’t need him. (I’ve said that to a friend recently when her husband’s eyes were straying) I realize that’s not the way to handle it. I’ve always been a love me of leave me kind of person.


I don’t think I’d still be married if my husband were like Leah and Jacob. How horrible she must have felt with the way he looked at her. I wanted to read that he fell in love with this woman. I didn't, It's not there. I cry at the opera I want Pinkerton to see how much Butterfly loves him. Marriage is hard and to do it without love, true love you will fall short of the bank when your boat is capsized. You will just pull each other under, and you’ll both drown.

Rachel is the world of revealed words and deeds. She held beauty that Jacob could perceive and desire. But Leah was too lofty, too far beyond all things, and so Jacob could not attach himself to her in the same way.



Yet it is from Leah that almost all of the Jewish nation descends.
That speaks volumes to me. God saw favor with her He loved her and blessed her children.



When we feel unworthy, when we start to feel as if were falling short, God favors us.

5 comments:

Kevin Knox said...

I cannot tell you how often I have felt this during this story.

And Jacob did himself no favors with his pickiness. In the end, he gets a weak woman who needs her household idols to leave home, and he doesn't get her for very long, either.

Sad story all around, like so many of them.

Milly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Milly said...

Thank you. When I led the class I cried for her. The women understood that I fell in love with the women who came before us.

Kevin Knox said...

I see you edited this.

Just yesterday I read an article that reminded the reader that Jacob chose to be buried with Leah - not Rachel! Wow!

Either Jacob finally did fall in love with Leah, or he repented his foolishness. It was very soon after Jacob's hip was crippled that Rachel died. I suspect that he finally saw that Rachel had been nothing but trouble, that God had wanted him with Leah all along, and that she was really the lovely girl.

I think there was a happy ending. :-)

Unknown said...

Sad story all around, like so many of them.

Have some fun