Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Elephant Food


This is elephant feed.

Someone spoke to me tonight about our church I'm sick at the things we are going through. My heart is heavy. I'm not sure if we can take the sand. I know I must put it in God's hands.

I found this on someones blog. I know that this is feeding fear and anger. Truth doesn't matter. He said it and some are upset.

**** made this comment, "I am a recovering Church of Christer." And noted that "******* Church is a recovering Church of Christ." He adds, "What we are trying to recover from is a mean spirited, divisive, judgmental, narrow, arrogant, harmful, despicable version of the Christian faith that has done terrible damage to the cause of Christ in this world." **** isn't saying all churches from the Restoration Movement are this way, but the fact is the far right within Churches of Christ have been this way. Pretty strong statements from ****. I'm not sure I would have even phrased it that way but I do agree with his premise. Most surprising, he is still employed there! (Which is good, he is a very bright guy.) Give it a listen if you have a chance. I'd love to hear some thoughts. The title is "Both And"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's better!!! Great job.

From what **** is saying and the phrases **** is using, it sounds like **** was part of the International Churches of Christ (or ICOC).

I am part of that movement and totally understand why **** feels the way **** feels. I became a Christian in the ICOC and have stuck with that ministry through the difficult times. I know the dreams of many were shattered by the melt-down of that ministry.

I must say, though, that I am glad I stuck it out. There is a unity being formed with that world-wide movement again that is inspiring me. Its foundation is humility and it is being driven by men and women who eagerly want to love God and restore the movement to its former united ways.

All in all, it was hard...but I am glad I stuck it out.

Perhaps, if I'm right about **** having been a part of the ICOC, **** could check out the Unity Proposal being presented to the ministries.

Milly said...

I'm not sure if **** is into it.

The hard part is that we are known for not being mean in the church. We had a rep. for being a great place to be. We were the one others wanted to be like. To say we are less is hurtful to some.

I have walked out of a COC churh because of what was said the was mean.

It's hard to hear that we are something else than open and understanding hurts.

I know **** and I'm sure the way it sounds isn't what he intended for the to hear. He just needs to see the elephant and point it out so that things will calm down.

salguod said...

[gasp]

So, all this time I've been playing blog free association with a couple of fellow restoration movement folk, including another ICOC guy? Cool. :-)

Milly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Milly said...

dk,

I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond. We had the ISWW last week and with a new job.I've been crazed.

As of right now I haven't heard about the Unity Proposal. I know that what happened in Tulsa last week was huge.

As to my understanding it is a part of healing the Stone Campbell Restoration Movement split. We had COC and Christian ministers side by side preaching.

. . .And yes it shook up a few.

Andreia Huff said...

Milly
I was wondering if you had entered the discussion about the minister in TN. Check out our little discussion
here. Love to have your thoughts!

Milly said...

Andreia,

Wow, I just don't think that I could get into that without screaming at the computer. The COC’s aren’t like that. I was baptized by an elder. I know some who were baptized in other churches not COC’s. We do believe certain things that the “feel good” churches don’t. Look that man had no right to speak about us as we would have no right about him. God is working in our church towards unity and the Satan isn’t happy. Clearly.

Unknown said...

Great Job.


I appreciate it